Knit by Night

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The truth will free my soul.

Another few inches got added to the Midnight scarf over my breaks at work today. I also got in quite an interesting discussion there with a crocheter, talking about afghans and whatnot. It was quite fun, and the first time someone paid attention to my knitting. I was surprised, actually, that it's taken three days. I knit every day over my breaks, and only today did someone say, "Hey, you're knitting."

Not that I expect praise for knitting or anything. I just figured that most people there would find it odd that someone my age knits, and knits publically. *shrugs*

On a different note, slightly, I can't wait until Christmas is over. From a knitting standpoint, anyway. I'd like to be able to get back to knitting simple blanket squares without feeling guilty that I have presents to be working on. I want to be able to sit for hours frogging bargain sweaters without having to avoid looking at the pile of Things To Be Knitted. I want to start the second baby blanket I have planned, and rush less with it because the baby in question won't even be born for months yet!


Don't get me wrong. I adore knitting for people. Every time I see something that I want to make, I'll be wondering who I can give it to once it's made. But deadlines are a pain in the patootie. I'd rather I didn't have them. I'd much rather be able to randomly walk up to someone some day and say, "Here, I made you this," than hand someone something on Christmas that I had to rush to finish because I didn't budget my time properly.

Besides, randomly gifting people is so rewarding. Especially seeing the looks on their faces. *grins*

But mostly, I just want to knit squares for the blanket. I dug out the one that my mother knitted for me, and it's warm enough, but having one of my own will be twice as satisfying. Being able to look at it and feel it and have it keep me warm, and to know that every stitch was made by me.

And now, if you'll all excuse me, I'm exhausted from a long day of work, and my bed has such a sweet siren song . . .

1 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Making things for people who appreciate them is well worth the effort. I understand how you feel about deadlines though, that's why this year I only made things that people requested. Good luck with the holiday knitting!

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home