Knit by Night

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Credit where credit is due.

I mentioned to my mother a little while ago that I wanted to start knitting socks. Not exactly a big monumental thing, here, but when I knit a pair of socks, it will be my first pair of socks. It's a milestone. A turning point. It's one of those things that's fun and useful and throws me into the ranks of thousands of other knitter's who've also knit socks.

My mother mentioned this to my aunt. My aunt apparently replied that she's not sure I'm ready for socks, because I've been knitting for only a year, and knitting socks means using four needles.

Um, a little credit, please. I can knit some lace patterns with little dificulty. The only reason I haven't attemtped a sweater yet is because I can't aford that much yarn at the moment. Knitting a sock on four needles is not going to destroy me.

The hardest part of a sock is the heel. The heel is only one fraction of the whole sock. I think I can handle it.

The part that bugs me the most is that she doesn't think I'm ready because I've only been knitting for a year. As if time is the ultimate measure of talent. When last she spoke to me, she recommended I knit a whole bunch of squares to turn them into a blanket. Which I am doing. Y'know, when I have little better to do. In between other projects. When I'm bored. Small garter-stitch squares are only a tiny part of my knitting life, here. But she seems to think that's all I can do. Row after row of knit-stitch.

It doesn't help that there's a literal ocean between us. I can tell her what I've done, but she may not believe me.

Maybe once she hears tell of the gift my mother's going to get for her birthday (a Branching Out scarf), she'll change her tune.

Now, yes, there are plenty of projects I haven't tackled yet. I have yet to knit a hat. This is because I don't have the right needles for it yet (and most of my money is going to pay of debt and the like). Same thing with mittens and gloves. No sweaters (yarn issues). No pants (not exactly a common request, but I said I'd knit Rachel some long-johns at some point, and dammit, I will!). But these aren't for lack of talent, I assure you. I can knit. I can purl. I can increase and decrease. I realised how to do short rows before I knew what their name was. I can follow patterns easily enough. I've seen and heard enough cautionary tales of common mistakes to know what to look out for. I'm honestly, right now, only hampered by a lack of materials.

Haven't been knitting long enough to know how to do socks. Pffft. I have all the prerequisite skills. I just need the set of dpns, and the right weight yarn, and a pattern. And then I'll be raring to go!

2 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

I say go for it! Socks are a lot of fun and they're not as hard as you might think. (I just finished my first pair a little while ago). I recommend the Socks 101 article from Knitty to help you familiarize yourself. And if you don't like DPNs you can always magic loop, that's what I did. :)

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, congratulate yourself for doing garter stitch squares and squares and squares, even between other projects, that can be some real tedious stuff! you are plenty ready for socks! bigger congrats on not letting "time spent" determine your learning curve...if you don't like what you are knitting, you won't knit!

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home