Knit by Night

Monday, January 16, 2006

Huzzah!

I bought a sweater a while back, with the intent of unravelling it for yarn. The sweater was a beautiful thing, in shades of turquoise and black, and made from a silk/angora blend. It cost me about $3. Now, because the sweater's a thin one, I was told it might be difficult to unravel, since thin yarns can split and tear easily.

This thing unravels like a dream. I've had no trouble with it. The yarn's a tough bugger, and stands up to a bit of abuse. The yarn turns out to be two strands twined together, and each strand seems to be lace weight.

So, once the sweater's done being unravelled, I'll have some beautiful lace weight silk/angora yarn, in turquoise and black. This makes me very very happy.

Of course, at the moment, I have no ball winder, or anything of the sort. I wound up other stuff by wrapping it around chair legs, but the chair in the bedroom is currently being used to hold up other stuff right now, and so can't be used. As a cheap substitute, I just started wrapping and twirling the yarn around a spare knitting needle. It works well enough, though my hands get sore after a while, twirling the needle and making sure the yarn stays pretty much even on both halves of the rapidly growing ball.

I have no idea what I'm going to make from it, though. There's not enough of one colour to make anything really big. I'm thinking I may make a few nicely-patterned scarves, though. I've no need for them myself, but I'm sure there are people out there who wouldn't mind a nice silk/angora scarf to wrap around their necks.

Or maybe I'll just try and sell the yarn on eBay. Who knows?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home